At this level, you shouldn’t want any extra convincing about why it’s vital for all of us to attempt to dwell a decrease waste life-style. Our plastic waste crisis has by no means been extra acute, and residing plastic-free can actually make you healthier. Because it’s presently Zero Waste Week, we determined to compile the ULTIMATE zero waste record of suggestions, ideas, concepts and proposals.
1. Exit ready: have a reusable cup, bag, meals containers and utensils in your work bag/purse.
2. Purchase much less stuff – simply keep away from no matter you don’t really want.
3. Assist zero waste companies or manufacturers with low-waste options as a lot as you possibly can.
4. Keep away from something single-use as usually as doable.
5. Journey much less – Covid-19 has made this simpler, however post-Covid, attempt to keep away from pointless journey and if you happen to do journey, here’s how to do it better.
6. Use public transport as an alternative of personal automobiles/Uber when doable, and ideally stroll as a lot as you possibly can.
7. Stop plastic as a lot as you possibly can, here’s a handy guide.
8. Rethink all of your buying and consumption choices: do you really want it? Is there a low waste different? When you prepare your mind to do that, it’s going to turn out to be a pure intuition.
9. Plan weekends, holidays and leisure time round outside actions in nature, and keep away from making purchasing or malls a giant a part of your life.
10. If purchasing on Amazon, request their plastic-free options.
11. Cut back on-line purchasing general and easily fewer issues general.
12. Assist web sites that use recycled cardboard and plastic-free packaging.
13. Keep away from speeding supply: work with the shipper to consolidate gadgets so just one cargo is made.
GROCERIES & KITCHEN
14. Purchase groceries in bulk at packaging-free stores.
15. Store on the moist markets and farmers markets.
16. Keep away from packaged meals.
17. Carry your personal containers and baggage.
18. Begin composting your meals waste, here’s how.
19. Recycle no matter you possibly can, and what you possibly can’t recycle, give up.
20. Eat natural, regionally grown meals every time doable – natural agriculture is way much less wasteful than typical.
21. Purchase ugly greens and fruits as they’re almost definitely to be unsold at supermarkets.
22. Plan your meals as a lot as you possibly can.
23. Don’t go the grocery story hungry, and be sure you have a listing, so you purchase solely what you want.
24. Be artistic with older meals and leftovers so that you keep away from losing it – here are some ideas.
25. Ask receipts to be emailed to you rather than printed out.
26. Prepare dinner extra at residence as an alternative of counting on packaged meals and supply companies.
27. Stop paper towels, attempt reusable choices or lower up outdated clothes and use as cleansing cloths.
28. Use your freezer extra: prepare dinner in batches after which freeze for later.
29. Solely purchase second hand or classic clothes sneakers if doable.
30. Keep away from quick trend manufacturers as a lot as you possibly can.
31. Spend money on upcycled manufacturers (that use deadstock or waste materials) if it’s a must to purchase new.
32. If you happen to love trend and need selection, lease garments as an alternative of shopping for.
33. Restore all of your outdated garments and sneakers so you possibly can proceed sporting them.
34. Organise your closet so it’s simple to seek out stuff.
35. Create a capsule wardrobe to make dressing simpler.
36. Donate or resell items you not have to hold them in circulation.
37. Wash your garments much less usually – they aren’t as soiled as you assume and you’ll save on laundry waste.
38. Add a microplastics filter bag to your washer to keep away from microfibres coming into our water streams/rivers/oceans.
39. Purchase classic or second-hand furnishings.
40. Rent furniture if you happen to want extra selection.
41. Don’t substitute your electronics usually – wait till they actually don’t work.
42. Purchase refurbished electronics as an alternative of recent.
43. Assist plastic-free florists that work with seasonal stems and even higher, put money into crops as an alternative.
44. Make your personal home cleaning products (most issues will be cleaned with a mix of white vinegar, baking soda and lemons).
45. As a substitute of shopping for individuals bodily presents, present them with an expertise, invite them for a meal or make them one thing.
46. Spend money on a house water filter so that you by no means want to purchase bottled water.
47. Swap all of your payments to paperless/e mail choices.
48. Use rechargeable batteries as an alternative of disposable ones.
49. Unplug all of your electronics if you find yourself not utilizing them to keep away from losing power.
50. Transition to LED lightbulbs.
51. Keep away from utilizing an excessive amount of heating and air-con.
52. Select soy wax candles in reusable jars.
53. Keep away from utilizing a dryer whenever you wash your garments, line dry as an alternative.
54. Select cloth diapers/reusable nappies, they’re very simple to make use of and higher on your bubba as a result of they’re plastic-free.
55. Keep away from child wipes: make your own cleaning solution and use reusable cloths.
56. Be a part of a toy library/ toy rental subscription service so that you get to get pleasure from selection with out shopping for a whole lot of toys.
57. Spend money on long-term toys created from wooden and different pure supplies.
58. Throw zero-waste birthday parties.
59. Order plant-based dishes (a vegan weight loss program is way much less wasteful than one containing meat, dairy and seafood).
60. Assist cooks that assist native, natural agriculture.
61. Carry your personal meals container and take unfinished meals again residence.
62. Keep away from supply if you happen to can, do takeaway and convey your personal container to gather or attempt to discover eating places that provide reusable packaging.
63. Stop utilizing single-use espresso cups and packaged drinks, and put money into refillable or reusables.
64. Stop utilizing straws utterly.
65. Support food banks that redirect uneaten meals into meals for the hungry.
66. Select eating places that assist plastic-free and zero-waste initiatives.
BEAUTY & BATHROOM
69. Make your personal magnificence merchandise – mouthwash, toothpaste and face masks are very simple to do.
70. Keep away from liquid merchandise as a lot as doable, but when that’s not doable, select manufacturers that provide refills so you possibly can reuse the bottle.
71. Stop toothpaste tubes, use a plastic-free possibility as an alternative or make your personal.
72. Cut back the quantity of make-up you utilize: it’s laborious to be 100% zero waste with make-up (although not unattainable) nevertheless it begins with fewer merchandise.
73: Swap to a safety razor (plastic-free and with replaceable metallic blades).
74. Swap to a reusable menstrual cup and interval underwear (for ladies).
75. Set up a bidet/Japanese type rest room to scale back rest room paper utilization.
76. Shorten your showers! Wasted water is likely one of the most worrying issues we face.
77. Use reusable and washable facial rounds.
78. Flip off your water heater every time it isn’t in use.
79. Print as little as doable.
80. Be certain the pantry has reusable cups, cutlery and meals containers for workers to make use of.
81. Arrange composting and recycling bins.
82. If ordering takeout, attempt to do joint meals supply orders so each worker will not be ordering individually.
83. Get passionate staff concerned in a zero waste committee to assist guarantee low waste practices are carried out.
84. Encourage Green Monday: begin a marketing campaign the place staff eat plant-based as soon as every week.
85. Improve the thermostat so you utilize much less electrical energy.
Lead picture courtesy of Freepik.