A number of weeks in the past, Charles County Public Colleges (CCPS) started the ‘20-’21 college 12 months on a digital platform because of the COVID-19 pandemic. On-line education has modified the way in which many packages are operating. Sports activities packages and golf equipment have been modified, postponed and even cancelled. For the CCSO, it meant we have been unable to kick off the “We Care” program.
We Care is a teen driving program developed as a part of an alliance between younger drivers and the police and faculty officers who care about them. For extra details about the We Care program, the way it started, and what it entails, click here.
Regardless of not having the ability to meet with college students face-to-face to debate the significance of secure driving, we really feel it’s essential that we share data for folks to make the most of when speaking to their youngsters about staying secure on the roads. Listed here are a number of details and sources to share with drivers each younger and not-so-young:
1. The one process that issues when you’re driving, is DRIVING.
Every year in Maryland, 183 individuals die from distracted driving crashes. A further 27,000+ extra are injured. Regardless of cellular phone legal guidelines prohibiting drivers from speaking or texting on handheld gadgets whereas driving, many drivers discover it tough to keep away from taking a look at their telephones whereas behind the wheel. Along with cellphone use, different distractions comparable to fixing make-up, consuming, or ingesting might be harmful as nicely. Something that pulls your consideration away from the highway can lead to killing or injuring your self, a passenger, one other motorist, a bike owner, or a pedestrian.
Sending a textual content, taking a name, or doing every other process when you’re driving will by no means be well worth the doable penalties.
2. By no means, ever, drive whereas impaired or permit somebody you realize to drive impaired.
Consuming or utilizing medicine and driving is prohibited, and infrequently results in tragedies which might be preventable. Yearly, 160 Marylanders die because of drunk or impaired driving, and 1000’s extra are injured. By no means get behind the wheel of a automotive if you’re impaired, and by no means get in a car with a driver who’s impaired. All the time designate a sober driver, or organize for an Uber journey residence.
3. Put on your seatbelt for EVERY journey.
Driving a automotive or using in a automotive with out fastening your seatbelt might be lethal. Individuals concerned in a crash who aren’t carrying their seatbelt are 67% extra more likely to maintain accidents which might be reasonable to deadly.
There may be by no means an excellent motive to not put on your seatbelt. Even when it’s only a brief journey, buckle up. Being within the again seat doesn’t make you safer; buckle up.
4. Keep away from rushing and aggressive driving.
One out of each three crashes are attributable to aggressive driving and rushing. Following the foundations of the highway helps different drivers know how you can anticipate and react, and what to anticipate. When drivers are aggressive, rushing and weaving out and in of visitors, operating cease indicators and pink lights, and tailgating, their unpredictable conduct is harmful for themselves and others.
Keep calm and keep secure. Driving recklessly is rarely well worth the dangers.
There may be by no means a nasty time to speak about secure driving along with your teen or the individuals you like. It is very important all the time:
- Encourage open communication. Create an area the place they aren’t afraid to let you know about issues which have scared them or conditions that they’ve been in that made them really feel unsafe.
- Hear. Keep away from lecturing them. Allow them to let you know what they know, and fill in any gaps.
- Have a plan. Be open about what they need to do in the event that they discover themselves in a harmful scenario. Ensure that they know that they know they will all the time name you.
- Set guidelines comparable to a curfew. This may give your teen house to have some freedom whereas respecting the boundaries.
- Belief them. Letting your teen know that you just consider they are going to make the appropriate decisions will encourage her or him to maintain your belief.
For extra details about secure driving in Maryland, go to https://zerodeathsmd.gov/.