Marion Officials Provide Hurricane Preparedness Tips in Conjunction with Hurricane Preparedness Week
MARION — City Administrator James McGrail, Hearth Chief Brian Jackvony and Police Chief John Garcia are encouraging residents to take a sequence of precautions within the occasion of a tropical storm or hurricane.
Gov. Charlie Baker has proclaimed July 12-18, 2020 to be Hurricane Preparedness Week and is emphasizing the significance of staying secure throughout storms. Even when extreme climate doesn’t strike Massachusetts straight, the state continues to be susceptible to feeling a storm’s influence, which might embody heavy flooding and harmful winds.
“Although Tropical Storm Fay had much less of an influence on our space than the unique forecast, it’s a well-timed reminder of the precautions everybody ought to take to be ready for a tropical storm or hurricane,” Chief Garcia mentioned. “There’s not all the time a lot time to organize for the consequences of a storm, so it is very important have an emergency plan and construct an emergency equipment tailor-made to the particular wants of your loved ones forward of time.”
The Atlantic Hurricane Season started on June 1 and can finish on Nov. 30. Traditionally, hurricanes and tropical storms in August and September have had the best influence on New England communities. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is predicting an above normal number hurricane season this year, which might produce between 13 and 19 storms. Between three and 6 of these storms are predicted to be main hurricanes.
Whereas persevering with to answer the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the Massachusetts Emergency Administration Company (MEMA) stays dedicated to making sure that the Commonwealth is ready for different disasters together with hurricanes and tropical storms.
MEMA is working carefully with the Division of Public Well being and the newly established Pandemic Catastrophe Mass Care Working Group to develop guidance for evacuations and mass care during COVID-19.
“Within the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, it is very important think about a number of further steps and supplies as a part of your preparation,” Chief Jackvony mentioned. “This consists of making certain face coverings, disinfectant and hand sanitizer are a part of your emergency kits, and understanding whether or not a pal’s or relative’s home could also be safer for you than a bigger shelter, ought to it’s good to evacuate. “
Hurricane and Tropical Storm Security Ideas
MEMA presents a number of safety tips for residents within the occasion of a hurricane or tropical storm in our space:
- Stay informed by signing up for emergency alerts.
- Know your zone. Massachusetts has outlined hurricane evacuation zones for areas of the state in danger for storm surge flooding. Even areas in a roundabout way alongside a shoreline could also be in danger for storm surge flooding throughout a tropical storm or hurricane.
- Develop a family emergency plan by establishing assembly places, creating an emergency contact plan, planning easy methods to evacuate and studying easy methods to shelter in place. Observe your plan together with your total household, and ensure the plan accounts for people who’ve entry wants, seniors, kids and pets.
- Acquaint your self with the emergency plans at locations the place your loved ones spends appreciable time, equivalent to your office or your kids’s college.
- Assemble an emergency kit. Make sure to embody cleansing and disinfectant provides that you should utilize on the go (tissues, hand sanitizer with 60% alcohol and disinfection wipes). Guarantee that you’ve cloth face coverings, equivalent to masks and scarves, for everybody in your family who can put on one safely.
- These receiving medical remedy or residence well being companies can work with a medical supplier to discover ways to preserve care within the occasion of a hurricane that requires evacuation.
- Contemplate buying a generator. When you do, be sure you familiarize your self with the producer’s directions to make use of it safely. NEVER run a generator indoors, in a storage or with the exhaust dealing with the house or residence air intakes.
- Take photographs or movies of your possessions to create a report for insurance coverage functions.
- Put together your private home if a storm is coming by securing outside objects, clearing rain gutters, protecting home windows with shutters or plywood (don’t use tape), flip off propane tanks that aren’t getting used, elevate gadgets in your basement in case of flooding, examine your sump pump, unplug delicate digital tools, clear close by catch basins, park autos in areas which are unlikely to flood, and take away any boats from the water.
- Don’t exit throughout a hurricane or tropical storm, if potential.
Lightning and Flash Flooding Security Ideas
Flash flooding and extreme thunderstorms sometimes supply low predictability. Due to this fact, it’s essential to comply with the newest climate updates.
- Be informed by receiving alerts, warnings, and public security data earlier than, throughout, and after emergencies.
- Keep indoors throughout a storm. If outside, search shelter instantly. Keep inside till not less than 30 minutes after you final hear thunder or see lightning.
- Keep away from showering, bathing, washing dishes, or doing laundry. Plumbing and toilet fixtures can conduct electrical energy.
- Contemplate unplugging delicate digital tools earlier than flooding happens. However, don’t contact electrical tools in case you are moist or standing in water.
- When you should evacuate or are touring throughout flooding, keep in mind:
- Don’t stroll by flowing water. Most drownings happen throughout flash floods. Six inches of swiftly shifting water can knock you off of your ft.
- Keep in mind the phrase “Flip Round, Don’t Drown!” Don’t drive by flooded roads. Automobiles could be swept away in solely two ft of shifting water. In case your automobile is trapped in quickly shifting water, keep within the automobile. If the water is rising contained in the automobile, search refuge on the roof.